Mrs Lucy Dinham
Welcome to Year 2!
Term 2 – All Creatures Great and Small.
This term we will be working towards an awesome nativity performance, which will be brought to you in the form of ‘A Higgledy Piggledy Nativity’. This is a fun filled play which looks back on the traditional nativity through the eyes of messy animals!! It is sure to offer us lots of learning experiences as well as lots of fun and entertainment.
The play is based on animals, which offers us the perfect opportunity to explore some of our key skills about habitats, hot and cold countries and animal life cycles.
We will be getting our writing on to write invitations to people to ask them to come and watch our nativity! As well as writing a story based on the story ‘What the ladybird heard’.
Within our maths learning we will be beginning to add and subtract with the goal of adding and subtracting 2 digit numbers to/from 2 digit numbers. We will also be looking at map reading and directional language.
There are lots of exciting things to get ready for this term so we are going to be very busy!
Thank you for your continued support and please ask if you have any questions.
Term 1 – I’ve got the Magic in me!
Our topic this term will be all about magic! We will be reading and writing stories about magic and beginning to learn the year 2 curriculum through these! We will also be thinking about a magic carpet ride around the world, where we learn more about the countries in the United Kingdom, the continents and the oceans.
Within our maths, we will be looking at place value, telling the time and money.
In week 3, we will be selling items in our Pea Pod sale, so look out for posters advertising this!
I hope your child has a wonderful first term in Year 2 and if there were anything, you would like to chat to me about then feel free to come and ask me.
Many Thanks, Mrs Dinham
Our school priorities this term are…
- form lower-case letters of the correct size relative to one another
- start using some of the diagonal and horizontal strokes needed to join letters and understand which letters, when adjacent to one another, are best left un-joined
- write capital letters and digits of the correct size, orientation and relationship to one another and to lower case letters
- use spacing between words that reflects the size of the letters.
- Count in steps of 2, 3, and 5 from 0, and in tens from any number, forward and backward.
- Recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 2, 5 and 10 multiplication tables, including recognising odd and even numbers.